It happens to the best of us.
Only we are so sleep deprived, we don’t really know what happened!
You’re snappy with answers, sighing when you hear “Mom!” for the twelfth time that morning, and wishing you could binge your favorite show with a pint of ice cream and not a care in the world.
But, Mom life still calls and you know you need to get yourself out of this funk.
12 Questions to Get Yourself Out of a Funk
- HAVE YOU HAD ANY WATER IN THE LAST HOUR? Drink up, mama! Dehydration can sneak up on you, leaving you feeling sluggish and cranky. Try for half your body weight in ounces daily. At the very least, chug a glass of filtered water if you’re feeling down and haven’t had any lately.
- HAVE YOU HAD A GOOD MEAL IN THE LAST 3 HOURS? There’s a reason we’re all about functional nutrition as the foundation for good health around here at Postpartum U! Food is energy and your body is constantly on the go more than it ever has been before. When you’re feeling sad or tired, start with protein (a handful of nuts, or fry up some bacon…) to fuel the body.
- ARE YOU GETTING DRESSED EVERY DAY? Appearance has a profound effect on feelings. Change out of those pajama pants and put on your favorite yoga pants and T-shirt. Or if you’re really feeling ambitious slip into that flowy sundress.
- ARE YOU STRUGGLING TO FALL ASLEEP AT NIGHT? Put away the screen (30 minutes before bed is best), get cozy, listen to some soft music or a sleep meditation, and simply close your eyes. Don’t pressure yourself to fall asleep. Just rest and you’ll soon be drifting off.
- HAVE YOU SHOWERED LATELY? I don’t have to tell you that this helps. You know it does. Take 20 minutes to suds up and wash your hair.
- HAVE YOU CONNECTED WITH YOUR PARTNER OR A FRIEND TODAY? Tell your partner how you’re feeling and ask for some time to reconnect. Even if it’s a chat and a snack at night instead of watching TV. Having an adult conversation with a friend, and even asking for a hug if you need one will be just what you need to get that oxytocin flowing and feel more like yourself.
- HAVE YOU CONNECTED WITH YOUR CHILD TODAY? It’s easy to get caught up in the endless needs of parenting. Sometimes we just need to sit down and have a bit of fun in the midst of chaos. Snuggle, play, read a book, color or draw, and enjoy some time in nature. Kids have a wonderful way of lifting our spirits if we follow their lead.
- HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOUR BLOOD PUMPING TODAY? Exercise is a proven technique for feeling better. Get yourself moving! Even a quick walk around the block or a couple of dashes up and down the steps can make a big difference. Or make it more playful and try some YouTube yoga with your kids. They’ll love it!
- DO YOU FEEL ACCOMPLISHED? It’s really easy to feel like you’ve been going all day long and getting nothing done in motherhood. Go get something checked off that list that will make you feel great, mama.
- DO YOU FEEL PARALYZED BY INDECISION? Feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next will keep you stuck in a rut forever if you let it. Get out of that place as quickly as possible. Take 10 minutes to write down 10 things you could do to feel better and make a choice. Eeny-Minny-Minie-Mo it if you have to. Anything is better than nothing.
- HAVE YOU READ A SOURCE OF ENCOURAGEMENT TODAY? Take a moment to feel inspired by connecting to your sense of source energy and a higher power. Read a daily devotional or the bible or another spiritual text.
- HAVE YOU SEEN A THERAPIST? Even a few visits with a trained professional therapist can be really beneficial for getting unstuck when you’re in a rut of negative thought patterns or unhealthy habits. Online platforms like BetterHelp can often get you paired up with a therapist within a few days if the traditional routes are inhibiting you from getting the professional counseling you need.
There’s no shame in going through a season where you’re feeling resentful, sad, lonely, or overwhelmed.
The most important thing is to not let yourself stay there.
Acknowledge your feelings with mindfulness, accept them, then consult this list and decide what you need.
You might have to repeat this process several times a day and that’s perfectly alright.
Keep going. You’re doing great!